Become a Volunteer
The ACT has the highest volunteering rate nationally with 36.8% of our population actively volunteering. These volunteers contribute over $1.5 billion to the ACT economy every year.
Volunteers benefit the ACT community by providing enriched and extended services that would not otherwise be available without their support, and provide great benefit to the community through their activities.
Some of the trends in the ACT voluntary sector include:
- Volunteers are very satisfied with their volunteering roles
- Canberran volunteers are highly educated
- Volunteers are seeking shorter, more project driven volunteering roles
- Volunteers are seeking roles that match their skills and interests
Want to Volunteer?
Are you interested in volunteering but don’t know where to start? Volunteering ACT can assist you to find the volunteer position that is right for you. You can become involved in the following ways:
- Search for volunteering roles on our website
- You can search for volunteering opportunities on our website by doing a search (using the below search categories) or using the ‘Opportunities Map’
- Look for a volunteer position that suits your interests. Try using key words or filtering by availability.
- Once you have found a position, you can apply by pressing the express interest button
- Once you fill in your details in the online form and hit submit your details will be sent to the organisation
- You will then get an email with the organisation’s contact details
- If you haven’t heard from the organisation within a week, give them a quick call to discuss the volunteering position
- Accounting and Finance
- Administration, Office Management
- Aged Care
- Art, Craft and Photography
- Companionship and Social Support
- Counselling and Help Line
- Disability Support
- Driving and Transportation
- Education and Training
- Food Preparation and Service
- Fundraising and Events
- Garden Maintenance
- Governance, Board, Committee
- IT and Web Development
- Library Services
- Marketing, Media, Communications
- Mediation and Advocacy
- Music and Entertainment
- Research, Policy and Analysis
- Retail and Sales
- Safety and Emergency Services
- Second Language
- Sport and Physical Activities
- Trades and Maintenance
- Tutoring and Mentoring
- Working with Animals
- Writing and Editing
- Have a think about the kinds of volunteering roles that interest you.
- Call our office and ask to speak to a member of the Volunteering Services team.
- Divulge some basic details and have a quick referral over the phone.
- Instantly receive a summary of the role/s you have applied for, including contact details.
Drop in for a chat
- Drop in anytime Monday – Friday (9am-5pm) at our Shopfront located in the Griffin Centre, 20 Genge Street, Canberra City.
- One of our wonderful volunteers will assist you to identify a suitable volunteering opportunity.
- Meet with the organisation you have applied to and discuss the volunteering position you have applied for.